Yes, they are! Rapid strep tests are extremely accurate for both adults and kids alike.
Read on as our AFC Urgent Care South Charlotte team shares some helpful information about strep throat and AFC’s rapid test accuracy below!
What Should I Know About Strep Throat?
Two different germs cause sore throats: viruses and bacteria. Most sore throats are caused by viruses. The one that comes on suddenly is caused by bacteria (germs) called “strep,” short for streptococci. If untreated, it can lead to complications and be spread to others.
The strep bacteria hang out in the nose and throat. When the infected person coughs, sneezes or talks, the germs go into the air. The germs are then breathed in or caught by touching something that the germs are on (contaminated). Strep throat is most common among school-age children (ages 5–15), but anyone can be infected with strep.
Common Strep Throat Symptoms
- Sudden sore throat
- Red tonsils that have white spots on them
- Pain when swallowing
- Swollen neck glands
- Loss of appetite
- Abdominal pain
So Are Rapid Strep Tests Effective?
Yes, they are! According to sources, the rapid strep test has a 98% specificity, which means that out of 100 positive tests, 98 are correct.
Our AFC center offers other accurate rapid tests, too, such as flu and COVID-19 tests. All of these rapid tests provide accurate results in 15 minutes or less, and you won’t have to make an appointment for your child to get one. If your child is showing symptoms of any of these respiratory illnesses, encourage them to limit the spread of germs.
Ways Your Child Can Prevent Germs From Spreading
- Cover his or her nose and mouth with a tissue when sneezing, coughing or blowing the nose.
- Discard used tissues in the trash as soon as possible.
- Frequently wash his or her hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds (the length of the “ABC song”).
- Keep your child home if he or she has a cough and fever.
- Don’t allow meal sharing.
- Take your child to the doctor as soon as you can if he or she has a cough and fever.
Our AFC Urgent Care South Charlotte center offers rapid tests that provide accurate results in 15 minutes or less without any necessary appointments! Visit us today.