Yes! Not only are sports physicals required in the state of North Carolina, but they’re a necessary and helpful way to find out if your child is healthy enough to play the specific sport that he or she longs to play.
So, whether it’s baseball at South Charlotte Middle or soccer at Old Providence Elementary, your child needs a physical, and our AFC Urgent Care South Charlotte team highlights why below.
What Is a Sports Physical?
A sports physical exam is sometimes called a preparticipation physical examination (PPE) and is an exam that evaluates and ensures the safety of children playing in organized sports.
During the physical, your healthcare provider will look for any health complications that could make it unsafe to participate in sports by reviewing your child’s medical history and requiring a passed physical exam. We’ve listed the common questions and evaluations of the exam below.
What a Common Sports Physical Entails
- Serious illnesses among family members
- Illnesses that your child may have now, such as asthma, diabetes or epilepsy
- Past injuries, including concussions, sprains or bone fractures
- Whether your child ever passed out, felt dizzy, had chest pain or had trouble breathing during exercise
- Any medications your child is on, including over-the-counter medications, herbal supplements and prescription medications
- Height and weight
- Strength of your child’s heart, lungs, abdomen, ears, nose and throat
- Your child’s posture, joints, strength and flexibility
When Does My Child Need to Get One?
Most schools require a sports physical to be done before your athlete starts his or her specific sport. If you aren’t sure what your child’s league or school requires, make sure you reach out to your child’s sports league administration.
For a little more info about what could cause your child to fail his or her physical, we’ve listed some typical causes for concern below.
Typical Causes for Concern in Sports Physicals
- Previous illnesses, such as asthma or diabetes
- Past bone breaks or muscle tears
- Poor heart health
- Allergies to different bug bites, stings, etc.
Our AFC Urgent Care South Charlotte offers sports physicals, so don’t hesitate to stop by today!