Yes, and you’re not alone. This year’s pandemic is likely the first of its kind that any of us have ever experienced, so don’t be so hard on yourself if you’re having a hard time coping with it.
Read on as our team at AFC Urgent Care South Charlotte highlights the importance of prioritizing mental health during the pandemic.
Why Is Mental Health Important?
How your brain feels impacts the whole body. Mental health affects how we think, feel and act. It may also affect how we handle stress, relate to others and make choices during an emergency.
Because your brain is the epicenter of your decision-making, it’s important to keep it intact for best results. If you are feeling anxious or depressed, your body and decision making alike will feel the effects and typically will react negatively.
Negative Effects of Poor Mental Health
- Unhappiness and a general decreased enjoyment of life
- Difficulties in relationships
- Social isolation
- Chronic anxiety
- Changes in mood
- Erratic thinking
How Can I Stay Mentally Healthy?
One of the first steps toward good mental health is coming to acknowledge your feelings and then continuing to talk about them with someone. Allowing yourself to identify feelings of anxiety, stress or depression without explaining those feelings away is crucial in taking care of yourself.
This year’s pandemic is extremely stressful, so it’s common if your brain is feeling a little heavier than normal. If you feel like your mental health is struggling, don’t hesitate to reach out to a trusted friend or family member. If you feel like you don’t have anyone to talk to and you’re in a mental health crisis, call 911 to get the help you need.
A Few Tips to Keep Your Mental Health Intact
- Stay active. Regular exercise boosts mental and physical health.
- Eat well. Your brain needs a mix of nutrients in order to stay healthy and function well, just like the other organs in your body.
- Maintain a community. Isolation is hard on everyone’s mental health, so maintain frequent communication with people even if it’s through video chat or social media.
AFC Urgent Care South Charlotte is passionate about mental health. Feel free to contact us if you have any questions or are in need of medical attention.