You know you should eat a healthy diet. But with all the information that’s out there related to diets, how can you know what healthy eating really entails?
Because eating a balanced diet plays a key part in maintaining optimal health, our team at AFC Urgent Care South Charlotte wants to share some insight about healthy eating habits. Read on to learn more!
How Can I Improve My Eating Habits?
Most of us can stand to improve what we eat, at least in some way. Fortunately, eating healthy doesn’t have to be difficult—and it doesn’t have to be expensive.
The first important step is reframing the way you approach eating. Think of it as healthy eating habits rather than a diet. That’s an important step in the right direction, because it’s not a fad or a trend, it’s a lifestyle.
Healthy Eating Habits
- Fill half your plate with fruits and vegetables.
- Fill one-fourth of your plate with whole grains.
- Fill the final one-fourth of the plate with lean protein, such as chicken or fish.
- Prepare meats by grilling, broiling or baking them rather than frying them.
- Include at least two servings of fatty fish, such as salmon or tuna, each week.
- Limit your intake of saturated fat, added sugars and sodium.
Why Do I Need to Eat Fruits and Veggies?
Fruits and vegetables are packed with all sorts of things that do the body good! These healthy foods contain vitamins, minerals and antioxidants that benefit your health in many different ways.
Experts recommend that you get at least four servings of fruit per day and five servings of vegetables. Aim to include fruits an veggies of all colors, since different hues offer distinct nutrients.
What a Serving Size Looks Like
- 1 small banana
- 1 medium apple or peach
- 16 grapes
- 4 large strawberries
- Half of a bell pepper
- 1 small ear of corn
- 6 baby carrots
- Half of a medium potato
Not feeling at your best? Schedule an AFC TeleCare appointment with AFC Urgent Care South Charlotte to get the care you need from the comfort of home.