Falls happen much too often in America. According to the National Institute of Health, six out of 10 elderly people will fall at home. Oftentimes, when falls happen among the elderly, they result in serious injuries.
If you or a loved one falls, it’s important to know what to do next in case a fall happens when no one else is at home. Our AFC Urgent Care South Charlotte team provides some helpful info below.
- Here’s what to do: First, if you fall, check for injuries. Take a minute or two to examine your body for pain and injuries, If you are hurt or unable to get off the floor, however, call for help.
- What to do next: If you aren’t hurt, take a minute then roll on your side. Once you’ve caught your breath and your blood pressure has gone down, push your body up and sit up on the floor.
- What to do after: Crawl on your knees or scoot to the closest chair or sofa. Push up, twist your body and sit down on a piece of sturdy furniture.
- After that: Tell someone that you’ve fallen. Studies show that over half of those who fall at home don’t tell anyone, which isn’t good. Once a fall happens, it doubles the chances of another one happening in the future.
- If you’re hurt: Call a loved one or 911 if you feel it’s a serious injury. Broken bones and fractures are the most common types of injuries that are sustained during in-home falls.
- You may have a broken bone if: You experience swelling that doesn’t go down, you can’t move a limb, or you have heavy bruising. If you experience any of these, get an X-ray at our AFC center ASAP.
- Action steps to take: One of the best things you can do to prevent future falls is to stay active. Going on frequent walks and elevating your heart rate a little bit every day will help you build strength, which will drastically lower your fall risk.
- Doctor recommendations: Another great prevention tip is to keep your home well-lit. More light typically equals a lower fall risk, so take steps to add brighter overhead lights or more lamps to brighten up your indoor space.
Have additional questions or concerns? Our AFC Urgent Care South Charlotte team is here for you, so don’t hesitate to reach out today!